CSLDallas teaches the Science of Mind. You’ll find plenty of information below and throughout our website about what we teach, believe, and practice.
What is Science of Mind
Science of Mind is a compilation of the great thoughts of the ages, the deep mystical yearnings of minds in search for God, and the modern approach to a faith, which can be demonstrated. In its practice and teachings, Science of Mind endeavors to include the whole life. It is a way of life focused on joy, freedom from fear, and justified by results. Science of Mind offers the world what it has have been waiting for – a faith whereby fear and superstition have been removed and universal spiritual principles are presented in plain, simple, and direct ways so that we may each learn to live now, in the present, with the knowledge and trust that the Universe is for us and not against us.
Science of Mind was founded by Dr Ernest Holmes and is part of the “New Thought” spiritual tradition, a positive, practical spirituality. Science of Mind is drawn from the revelations of both western and eastern religion, the opinions of philosophy, the laws of science, and the practices of psychology as applied to human needs and the aspirations of humanity.
What We Teach
- We teach Oneness and Unity, that this thing we have come to call “God” is the Source of all life and creation. This Divine Reality is a Transcendent Mystery beyond our human understanding. It is also the Presence of Love within us and all beings. We do not believe that God is a personality or Deity removed from creation, but that creation is held within the One Infinite Reality.
- We teach that all people are equal within this Presence, recognizing that Universal Love is unconditional and nonjudgmental.
- We understand that creation comes into being by Universal Love moving through Universal Laws. These laws are similar to natural laws and can be discovered and used by each of us.
- We teach that Science and Spirituality meet in the fulcrum of quantum physics and mysticism, neuroscience and spiritual psychology, astrophysics and conscious awareness.
- We teach the Universal Law of Cause and Effect – that we experience the consequences of our thoughts, words and actions, not as a reward or punishment, but as a natural result of our intentions and deeds.
- We teach that our thoughts and beliefs actively impact and create our experience and that by changing our consciousness (mind/heart/body) we truly do change our lives.
- We teach the power of affirmative prayer (spiritual mind treatment), not as a petition or supplication, but as an inner alignment with the Universal Power and Presence. Our Spiritual Mind Treatment (affirmative prayer) uses Universal Law to demonstrate the Truth that we have come to know and believe. We expect our lives to grow toward fuller expression and richer experience. We believe that prayer for ourselves, and others, manifests in physical and other types of healing.
- We teach that every individual is an expression of the Universal Life and is already immortal. We believe that we live on after death, ever growing and expanding into greater awareness and understanding.
- We seek to experience and express a Global Heart to balance the Global Brain of our technology and science. We envision and actively work toward a world that works for everyone, free of war, violence and separation, where forgiveness and sharing of resources is the norm, and where there is a renewed appreciation of art, nature and beauty.
- We understand Jesus of Nazareth as the great example, as opposed to the great exception, knowing that his ministry was to teach that our nature, as humans, is Divine. We realize this Divinity as we accept that all of us are sons and daughters of God, the Living Spirit. We experience this Divinity as we embody that the “Kingdom of Heaven is within.”
- We teach that there is no one true religion and that each spiritual path leads to Divine Reality and shares a golden thread of Truth. We believe that every faith adds something unique and important to the spiritual evolution of consciousness.
Science Of Mind Principles and Practices
Principle One. Oneness – There is One Infinite Reality, which we call by many names. The One Infinite Reality is undivided, complete, and whole within Itself. This Oneness creates everything out of itself, and therefore includes both the absolute and relative, tangible and intangible, physical and metaphysical aspects of reality.
We believe in God, the Living Spirit Almighty; One indestructible, absolute, and self-existent Cause.
Principle Two. Love – Love is the self-givingness of Spirit, Its desire to express Itself through and as creation. Love is the impulse behind evolution and Law is the process of creation.
We believe in the eternal Goodness, the eternal Loving-kindness, and the eternal Givingness of Life to all.
Principle Three. Creation – The physical universe is the manifest body of The One Ultimate Reality. It is inherently a blessing and is ever-evolving toward greater Good. We live in a life-affirming universe.
This One manifests Itself in and through all creation but is not absorbed by Its creation. The manifest universe is the body of God, it is the logical and necessary outcome of the infinite self-knowingness of God.
Principle Four. Threefold Nature -The One Ultimate Reality expresses Itself in three aspects – Spirit, Law (Soul), and Body. Each individual is made in the image and likeness of the One Ultimate Reality and has these same three aspects.
Principle Five. Creative Process – The One Ultimate Reality operates through the Universal Law of Cause and Effect. This Universal Law is impersonal, consistent, and intelligent. The Universal Law receives the direct impress of Spirit’s impulse and acts upon it bringing it into form. Individuals, having the same threefold nature, use the Creative Process to shape reality.
We believe that the Universal Spirit, which is God, operates through a Universal Mind, which is the Law of God and that we are surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of our thoughts and acts upon it.
Principle Six. Spiritual Laws – There are various expressions and uses of Universal Law: For example, the law of correspondence, the law of attraction, the law of giving and receiving, etc. These spiritual laws are also impersonal, consistent, intelligent and are always operating. Individuals can learn to consciously use spiritual laws to create or change conditions.
We believe in the healing of the sick through the Power of this Mind.
We believe in the control of conditions through the Power of this Mind.
Principle Seven. Spiritual Beings – The Ultimate Reality is both transcendent and immanent. Individual beings are spiritual beings living in a spiritual universe having a human experience, expressing through growth and becoming.
We believe in the unity of all life, and that the highest God and the innermost God is one God.
We believe in the incarnation of the Spirit in everyone and that all people are incarnations of the One Spirit.
Principle Eight. Freedom – The Divine Plan is one of Freedom. Freedom is the birthright of every individual. We are free to choose and create our live. Conscious communion with Ultimate Reality aligns our choices and releases us from the bondage of limitation.
We believe in the direct revelation of Truth through the intuitive and spiritual nature of the individual, and that any person may become a revealer of Truth who lives in close contact with the indwelling God.
We believe in our own soul, our own spirit, and our own destiny, for we understand that the life of all is God.
Principle Nine. Heaven on Earth – Heaven is the state of awareness of our True Nature. We seek to express Heaven on Earth. Heaven on Earth actively includes every individual and celebrates each individual’s diversity.
We believe that heaven is within us and that we experience this kingdom to the degree that we become conscious of it. We believe the ultimate goal of life to be a complete emancipation from all discord of every nature, and that this goal is sure to be attained by all.
Principle Ten. Eternal Life – The One Ultimate Reality is infinite and eternal evolving. We believe in the eternality, the immortality and the continuity of the individual soul, forever and ever expanding.
We believe in the eternality, the immortality and the continuity of the individual soul, forever and ever expanding.
Practices to Apply Science of Mind Principles
1. Affirmative Prayer/Spiritual Mind Treatment
Spiritual Mind Treatment is the single most important Science of Mind practice. It is a form of affirmative prayer. It is an act, art, and science. It is an act, being the conscious activity of thought. It is an art in that there must be conviction, appreciation, and realization. It is a science, in that it produces verifiable results through the application of impersonal, consistent spiritual law.
Spiritual Mind Treatment is the recognition of Universal Spirit, which is at the center of everything, and a realization that Law is creatively set in motion through conscious thought that results in change.
Meditation is the practice that opens us to inner awareness. It is the practice that transcends all theologies and allows us to directly experience Universal Spirit. There are many different forms of meditation.
Visioning is the practice of revealing the spiritual reality of any situation. It is the practice of seeking inner guidance.
An affirmation is a simple, positive statement in the present tense which leads the mind to accept what it intends to believe.
Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention in the present moment, objectively observing the behavior, attitudes and beliefs of ourselves and others.
6. Giving and Receiving
Giving and Receiving is the practice of conscious participation in the circulation of universal good in all of its forms.
Gratitude is the practice of the realization that all Good has already been provided. Gratitude is more than a resultant emotion; it is a causative energy which generates the ever present abundance of the universe into form.
Forgiveness is the active practice of compassion, the process of releasing perceived hurts, judgments or grievances, which allows us to see the Presence of Spirit in everyone.
9. Sacred Service
Sacred Service is the ongoing spiritual practice of sharing our gifts and talents, by actively participating from our hearts in the greater community and in the emergence of the Global Vision in our world.
10. Sacred Study
Sacred Study is the practice of expanding our knowledge and understanding of the Nature of Reality, who WE are, and how to use the Science of Mind Principles. Spiritual Study deepens our awareness of spiritual truths and provides the framework for spiritual practice. Through Spiritual Study we gain wisdom and a deep appreciation for the wisdom of all those who have walked a spiritual path throughout the ages.
Our Teaching Symbol
What is this Symbol and what does it mean?
This is our teaching symbol, designed by our founder, Ernest Holmes (1887-1960). It symbolizes the creative process of both Universal and individual Life based on the profound idea that we are “made in the image and likeness “ of the ONE. Its literal definition is “The descent of Spirit, through Law, into form.”
The Circle represents Infinite Spirit or the ONE. This circle contains three sections representing three aspects of the Divine Reality, or a “trinity” of Life.
The top section represents Spirit, the Absolute Nature of the Divine, the impulsion of Love and the Desire to Create. It can also be understood as the Creator, or First Cause. This is the seed of thought, belief or intention.
Within that Infinity is Spiritual Law. Law is accessed by each of us, first by our conscious awareness. Then, we empower some of our thoughts with feeling. Thoughts surrounded by feeling become beliefs—and our beliefs create our experience of conditions, forms, effects. The center section represents this Law of Cause and Effect (Soul), meaning the orderly process through which the Will of God (the impulsion of Love) becomes manifested or created. This is the soil into which the seed is planted.
The lower section is Body, meaning the physical, created universe which is understood to be the actual manifestation (incarnation) of Spirit in Form. This is the growing plant which is the result of the seed being planted.
The “V” symbolizes the creative process itself, reminding us that any impulsion or cause, be it a thought, intention or belief, moves through Law and becomes part of the physical. For every form, experience or effect there is a cause whether consciously planted or not.
By developing a new belief in the goodness and givingness of life, each of us can manifest a new way of being in the world: greater happiness, harmony, prosperity, anything we can imagine. Consciously using the Law of Mind toward these ends, we contribute something positive into the collective belief system of all humankind, setting an intention of a higher good for all.